Saturday, December 21, 2013

2013 End of Year Book Survey


It's time for the 2013 End of Year Book Survey, hosted by Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner.  I first took part in this survey last year and had so much fun that I've decided to participate once again.   There are two parts to the survey, (1) Best Books of 2013 and (2) Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2013 (optional), although, like last year, I've elected only to respond to part one.   th: Responses do not have to be limited only to books published in 2013.  

So, without further ado, here are my survey results (where applicable, click on the book's title to read my review):


1. Best Book You Read In 2013?

Best Book OverallThe Golden Dice by Elisabeth Storrs (Historical Fiction)

Favourite Fantasy: The Crown Tower and The Rose and The Thorn (Books One and Two of the Riyria Chronicles) by Michael J. Sullivan

Favourite Thriller:  The Geneva Option by Adam Lebor

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?

Longbourn by Jo Baker.  I liked this one well enough, but I certainly didn’t feel the love for it that so many other readers did. 

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013? 

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion.   I tend to shy away from hyped novels — this one received a lot of attention on both my Twitter feed and in my favourite bookstore — because, after finishing them, I usually end up wondering what all the hype was about, but The Rosie Project was a delight to read and worth every bit of hype it received.  

4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion.  Everyone that I recommended this book to enjoyed it every bit as much as I did.  

5. Best series you discovered in 2013?

The Riyria Chronicles by Michael J. Sullivan, the first two books of which (The Crown Tower and The Rose and the Thorn) were released this year.

6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?

Adam Lebor — Lebor’s first novel, The Geneva Option, made my list of favourites for this year.   I'm looking forward to continuing with his Yael Azoulay series.  

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.   I haven’t read any books within the horror genre in years, but decided to try Joe Hill’s latest release due to all the great reviews it was receiving.  Unfortunately, I didn’t enjoy the book. 

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?

Divergent by Veronica Roth.  I think I read this one in less than a day.  I just couldn’t stop reading it.

9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?

I’m not much of a re-reader, but I’ll likely re-read Persuasion by Jane Austen next year.  It’s my all-time favourite novel and I’ve already re-read it several times. 

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?

The Orenda by Joseph Boyden.   The vivid description of the setting in this novel is captured by the book's cover. 



11. Most memorable character in 2013? 

Definitely Professor Don Tillman from The Rosie Project and Nora Simms from Woman of Ill Fame by Erika Mailman.  I fell in love with both of these characters right from the opening page. 

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?

I have two: The Last Summer by Judith Kinghorn and Oleanna by Julie K. Rose.  Both of these works of historical fiction eloquently convey a strong sense of time and place. 

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013? 

The Orenda by Joseph Boyden, which covers a period of Canadian history (before Canada was Canada) I had limited knowledge of.  Like Three Day Road, one of Boyden's previous novels, I think The Orenda should be on every Canadian's to be read list.   

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read? 

Divergent by Veronica Roth.  Although I’m glad I waited as I timed my read of Divergent (and Insurgent) to match up with the release of the trilogy’s final installment, Allegiant.  

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?

I’ll often take notice of passages/quotes as I’m reading, but since I never highlight them or write them down I don't have any to share.

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?

Shortest: Isabella-Braveheart of France by Colin Falconer (218 pages)

Longest: NOS4A2 by Joe Hill (704 pages)

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It?

The ending of Allegiant by Veronica Roth (anyone who's read it will know what I'm talking about)

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).

This friendship made my list last year too — Hadrian Blackwater and Royce Melborn from Michael J. Sullivan’s Riyria Chronicles, a prequel series to his fantastic Riyria Revelations which chronicles Hadrian and Royce’s early years together.

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously:

The Golden Dice by Elisabeth Storrs, which is the follow-up to The Wedding Shroud

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan (recommended by Kaley from Books, Etc). 

21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?

Historical Fiction.  I’ve read 103 books so far in 2013, and of these 75 were works of historical fiction.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?

I’ve had a crush on Hadrian Blackwater since I first read Michael J. Sullivan’s Riyria Revelations series last year.  That crush continues with the release of the Riyria Chronicles this year.  

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?

The Orenda by Joseph Boyden, who brings a 17th century Huron Indian community to life in vivid detail.

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?

The Orenda by Joseph Boyden, Allegiant by Veronica Roth, Wolfsangel by Liza Perrat, and Letters From Skye by Jessica Brockmole.

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?


post signature