Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Armchair BEA Day One: Introduction & Classics


Design by Sarah of Puss Reboots 
It's time to kick-off the 2013 edition of Armchair BEA, a week-long blogging event designed for book bloggers who are unable to attend Book Expo America.  This will be my first time participating in Armchair BEA and I'm excited to take part!  I'll start things off with my answers to some of the Armchair BEA introductory questions:

(1) Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging? 

I'm Melissa, and I've been blogging for about two and half years.  I've always been passionate about reading and decided to get involved in book blogging as a way to share my love of books with others and to participate in online book and book-related discussions.

(2) Where in the world are you blogging from? Tell a random fact or something special about your current location.

I'm blogging from Ottawa, the capital of Canada.  Ottawa has the distinction of being the snowiest capital city in the world!   It is also home to the world's largest outdoor skating rink, the 7.8 kilometre Rideau Canal skateway, which attracts hundreds of thousands of skaters each winter.  

(3) What are you currently reading, or what is your favorite book you have read so far in 2013?

The best books I've read so far in 2013 are The Last Summer by Judith Kinghorn, which is set just before, during and immediately after WWI, and The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway, a time travel novel that reminded me of why I love to read.   Click on the titles to read my review.  

(4) If you could eat dinner with any author or character, who would it be and why?  

This is a really difficult question to answer, as there are so many authors and fictional characters I would love to have dinner with.  Since I can only select one I'm going to pick my favourite author, Jane Austen.  I'd love to hear who and what inspired each of her novels.   I'm also fascinated by the time period in which Jane Austen lived and would love to hear a first hand account of what life was really like. 
 
(5)  What literary location would you most like to visit? Why? 

This is a question I don't have to think twice about.  I'd love to visit Hogwarts.   The Harry Potter series is a favourite of mine and I'd love to spend a day learning all about magic with Harry and his friends :-) 

Genre Discussion: Classics

The first genre discussion of Armchair BEA 2013 is classics.  

I've enjoyed almost every work of classic literature I've read, and count several classics as all-time favourite reads:

- Persuasion by Jane Austen;
- Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen;
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte;
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte; and
- North & South by Elizabeth Gaskell.

I must admit, however, that I rarely go out of my way to read works of classic literature.  In fact, other than my re-read of Persuasion a couple of months ago I haven't read a classic in a few years.  I always intend to read more classics, and have quite a few of them that have been sitting on my shelves for years waiting for me to pick them up, but I just never seem to do so.  

Here are a few of the classics that I am determined to get to one of these days:

- Tess of the D'Ubervilles by Thomas Hardy;
- Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy;
- The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins;
- Wives & Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell;
- A Passage to India by E.M. Forster; and
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on which classic I should make a point of reading soon?  What do you think of my list of favourites?

post signature