Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Can One Have Too Many Books?

As I've alluded to a few times on this blog, I have a mild book buying addiction.  Okay, it is a serious addiction.   I'm constantly ordering new books online, and I can't walk out of a bookstore without purchasing at least one (and usually more) book.   Buying books makes me happy, almost as happy as reading them, and they do look so good on my shelves *grins*.  I have feed this addiction regularly for the past few years....alright, I've feed it for just about as long as I can remember...but I've run into a small problem -- although I read a lot, my book buying habit has resulted in my to be read pile becoming the size of a small mountain.   Even without buying another,  I own enough unread books to keep me happily reading for years.    Furthermore, in spite of having a home library I'm dangerously close to running out of shelf space.   


While sitting in my library recently, I was struck by the sheer volume of books yet to be read.   I've always lived by the motto that 'one can never have too many books,' however, for the first time in my life, I've begun to reconsider the wisdom of this motto in the face of my daunting unread pile.     Horrible thought, I know.

So what do my fellow book lovers think?  Is it actually possible to have too many books? Or do I just need a bigger home library?